1. What can I expect from the IMY staff when I’m there?
Assistance is always provided, even when it could be not expected, to help all IMY foreign friends to “survive” in Italy. You will receive all the information before your arrival; once in Italy, IMY staff will welcome you at CSCS office and will reassure you from all the doubts you have. The trainees can contact any time the IMY Tutor if they need suggestions, questions or doubts about their work placement.
On the first day of the work placement, the IMY staff accompanies the trainee to the workplace and introduces the learner to the company’s tutor.
Remember that, in any case, it is the trainee’s responsibility to manage the relationship with the company and to respect the agreed working hours. If, for example, the trainees are sick or, for any other reason, are not able to go to work, they have to alert the company’s tutor promptly.
The trainee and the company’s tutor will register the trainee’s hours of work in a sheet of attendance provided by IMY at the beginning of the work placement.
2. There is any type of education field available in this program?
The city, Pistoia, has a large production of plants for garden, hosts a train production factory and owns historical monuments and operas. In our province, there is also the city of Montecatini Terme, which is a spa city with more than 140 hotels, very good for tourism sector trainees.
There is also the possibility to have insights in the Tuscany and Italian food culture, finding traineeship in restaurants which pay attention to biological regional products or which link tradition to modernity.
Here is the list of the professional profiles we receive:
- Activities at hotel
- Administration and billing activities
- Administrative and accounting assistant
- Administrative and secretarial organization
- Administrative assistant
- Administrative assistant
- Animator and sports coach and leisure
- Art curator
- Artist / Curator
- Artist / Painter
- Artist / screen printer
- Artistic laboratory
- Assistant for administrative secretarial activity also legal field
- Business administration
- Carpenter / Carpenter
- Chef Assistant
- Chef Assistant
- CNC and mechanical machining
- CNC Wire Groove Lathes
- Computer technician
- Construction and repair of electronic systems
- Electric repairman
- Electrical technician
- Electrical technician
- Electromechanical installer and maintainer
- Electromechanical Manifold
- Electromechanical technician
- Electromechanical vehicle repair technician
- Elementary school teacher / elementary school
- Employed in a commercial office
- Engineer for the design, design and design of jewellery – Jewellery Designer
- Environmental educator
- Fashion Design / Dressmaker
- Fashion Designer
- Flower shop assistant
- Front office / Travel agency
- Front Office assistant
- Gardener and florist
- Graphic Designer
- Graphic Designer / Visual Communication
- Instructor / personal coach
- Interior Architect
- Interior Decorator
- Interior Designer
- Interior Restructuring Worker
- Jewel designer
- Laboratory analyst
- Logistics and warehouse keeper
- Management of networked computer systems
- Marketing and Communication
- Mechanic of mechanical production
- Mechanic Worker
- Mechanical design engineer
- Mechanical machining
- Mechanical production designer
- Mechanical production technician
- Mechanical production technician
- Metalworking, welder, machine operator also with numerical control
- Metalworking, welding and assembling
- Network System
- Office and warehouse support activities
- Operator and administrative procedures
- Pastry chef
- Pharmaceutical and Commercial Assistant
- Printmaker / typographer
- Program Developer
- Reception and backfire
- Reception and table service at the hotel.
- Receptionist at the hotel
- Room service
- Room service or bar
- Sales assistant
- Sales Assistant (Motorcycle Sales and Accessories)
- Sales Person (Food)
- Senior engineer of motor vehicles
- Social worker
- Socio-cultural animator
- Software programming and troubleshooting
- Support activities at the hotel secretarial office
- Support activities in car wash
- Support activities in organizational secretarial office in a sports company
- Support activities in the kitchen
- Support activities in the organizational secretary of fashion business
- Support Educator
- Support in hotel secretarial office
- Technical Electrical and automation systems
- Technical operator for the production of audiovisual works and performances
- Technician and mechanic of the mechatronics industry
- Technician in designing, creating and manufacturing metal objects
- Technician in the supervision, installation, testing and control of radio systems and television studios
- Technician of plastic materials
- Tire manufacturer
- Tourist entertainer
- Traditional turning and milling, assembly and cutting
- Training training area decoration and packs
- Turning profession (example: table waiter, turner, gardener etc.)
- Vehicle repairer
- Video Game Producer
- Visual Merchandising
- Welding technician
Have you not found the profile you were looking for? Write at firstname.lastname@example.org !! IMY staff will reply, telling you the availability for your professional profile.
3. What is the maximum amount of time I can stay?
It depends on your school. Usually, we host learners from 1 month to 6 months.
4. I only need work placement and no apartment: it is this possible?
Yes, it is. Ask for more information!! The cost goes approximately from 400EUR to 500EUR, depending from different factors.
5. I don’t like my workplace, what can I do?
Do not hesitate to inform your IMY tutor. Explain your reasons… a solution will be found.
6. How much does everything cost?
The accommodation in our Youth Hostel can cost from a maximum of 25 EUR to a minimum of 12,50 EUR per night. It is completely equipped and you will find towels, bed sheets and blankets.
A ticket for the bus costs 1,20 EUR, while a monthly ticket can cost from 20 to 30 EUR.
A ticket for Florence costs 4,40 EUR, while the monthly ticket is around 70 EUR.
The cinema costs around 6/8 EUR. The entrance in the disco will be from 5 to 25 EUR, but you could also find some free entrances.
7. How much does it cost a meal at the restaurant?
You can find pizza and sandwiches for 4/5 euros, while a plate at the restaurant is around 10 euros. In Italy, then, it is very common to make “aperitif”: it is a great way to taste many different snacks in buffets, while drinking something.
Have a look at this link: http://www.italymobility.com/?p=489
8. Do I get paid for this internship?
No, this is not provided, but in some cases some companies give refunds for meals or travel. This is only done on a voluntary basis.
9. Do I need to learn/speak Italian?
NO, you don’t. It is not necessary. However, if you learn some Italian words, this will help you especially in socializing and in making new friends.
10. Are there going to be other students I can meet?
Yes, IMY hosts almost 300 students per year. Join us on Facebook and look for other students.
11. Is Pistoia a dangerous city?
No, indeed. It’s good to know that it is a city with a very high quality of life and citizens are very welcoming, but you do not have to take advantage of people and try to be always polite to best serve hospitality.
12. Would it be useful to take or buy a bicycle?
Of course, yes! IMY staff always recommend attaching it with a good padlock or asking if there is a place where you can safely keep it. Despite the fact that the city has a low level of crime, it is not advisable to leave bicycles without being well locked.
13. Where can I keep my money?
It is better that you never leave money around and always carry with you a few cash. The secret is very simple, use bank card! In Italy, you can use a credit or debit card in all the shops because it is compulsory by law. If you have exceeding cash to bring around, ask at IMY’s reception to keep it for you and take it back time to time as per your needst.
14. Do I have to bring something from home?
Yup! It is very important to learn first and foremost to be well-liked in the workplace so there are two things you should never forget: a souvenir for your business tutor and pastries / biscuits for your colleagues. At the first meeting with the tutor you can leave, at the end of the interview, your little souvenir from your country to the tutor. On the first day of work, however, you can invite your colleagues to celebrate your arrival by offering them home cookies. This will help you to get in immediately with them and to be more appreciated.
Moreover, do not forget to bring with you your working clothes! If you work at PCs (graphic designer/communication/etc..), it is better to bring your own computer with you!
15. What should I do if I remain without money before the end of the period?
Inform your tutor IMY immediately …
16. When and how cold is Pistoia? Does it rain a lot?
July is the hottest month of the year with an average temperature of 23.6 ° C. Pay attention because temperatures can also arrive at 40°. The average temperature in January is 5.0 ° C. During the year is the lowest temperature.
78 mm is the difference in precipitation between the dry and the rainy month. Average temperatures during the year vary from 18.6 ° C.
July is the driest month with 35 mm. With an average of 113 mm, November is the one with more precipitation. (https://it.climate-data.org/location/1087/)
17. What I can visit during the weekends?
Have a look at the website: http://www.italymobility.com/?p=501
Tuscany is rich of arts and things to see!
18. What is the working time I have to observe?
The working time will be agreed at the first meeting with the company tutor. It is expected that all trainees will work 5 days a week for 6/8 hours, depending on the school’s request.
There is not a maximum or minimum amount of hours to reach. It is necessary to have a presence of 5 days a week. The traineeship cannot be considered concluded when the total hours of the school’s curriculum have been reached but in the presence of all the planned working days.
However, you can ask for leave days! IMY staff consider 1 and a half day per month. If you’re feeling sick, please notice immediately your company tutor and your IMY tutor.
19. What is more annoying to the inhabitants of Pistoia that it would be better to avoid?
- Do not leave your trash around the city. The environment will thank you for this as well!
- Do not scream or talk loudly during the night time! Some people would like to sleep!
- Do not steal anything from the city or from places you visit! Nor road signs!!
This city is hosting you, be respectful towards it.
20. Can I bring animals with me?
No, but if you have special needs, let IMY staff to know it!
21. Which are the most important issues I could have?
- if you use drugs you have to know that the drug is held (even only partially) for a subsequent sale, the offense is constituted; instead, the detention of drugs for personal use constitutes an administrative offense and it is sanctioned by suspending or prohibiting the obtaining of one or more documents between driving license, firearms license, passport or identity card for the purpose of expatriation, residence permit for foreigners.
There is no distinction between less dangerous drugs and more dangerous drugs. Administrative sanctions for personal possession offences may be one to three months’ imprisonment for the former and 2-12 months imprisonment for the latter. If a person is found in possession of illicit drugs for the first time, administrative sanctions are not usually applied, but, instead, the offender receives a warning from the Prefect and a formal request to refrain from use.
The difference between personal possession and trafficking is determined by the circumstances of the specific case (the act, possession of tools for packaging, different types of drug possessed, number of doses in excess of an average daily use, means of organisation, etc.).
Trafficking is punishable by 2-20 years’ imprisonment. (*Italy, Country Drug Report 2017, EMCDDA, http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/publications/country-drug-reports/2017/italy )
It is prohibited to possess drugs in IMY accommodations and you can be expelled from them.
- If you abuse of alcohol, you need to know that it is prohibited to drink alcohol in IMY accommodations and you can be expelled from them.
- it is prohibited to do noise, listen to loud music or talk loudly in IMY accommodations, especially after 10 pm.